With regard to the Supreme Court Judgement and guidelines issued in 1997 to provide for the effective enforcement of the basic human right of gender equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at work places, the University Grants Commission(UGC) has issued circulars since 1998 to all the universities, advising them to establish a permanent cell and a committee and to develop guidelines to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging at the universities and colleges. It has further advised the universities to be proactive by developing a conducive atmosphere in the campus, where the status of women is respected and they are treated well. Keeping the above guidelines and directions of Supreme Court in view, a sexual harassment committee is already existing in the Campus.
|S.No.||Name||Cell No.||Email ID|
|1.||Mrs.Deepti Chaudhary (Convener)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|2.||Mrs.Jyoti Pandey (External Expert)||email@example.com|
|3.||Mrs. Suman Sangwan (Member)||8295540200|
|4.||Mr. Sanjay Khandoori (Member)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|5.||Mr. Randhir Singh (Member)||email@example.com|
The Objectives of the Committee are:
1. Prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by promoting gender amity among students and employees.
2. Make recommendations to the Director for changes/elaborations in the Rules for students in the Prospectus and the Bye-Laws, to make them gender just and to lay down procedures for the prohibition, resolution, settlement and prosecution of acts of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by the students and the employees.
3. Deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment.
4. Recommend appropriate punitive action against the guilty party to the Director.
Procedure for approaching the Committee:
The Committee deals with the issues relating to sexual harassment at the SKIET Campus. It is applicable to all students,staff and faculty. A complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment may be lodged by the victim or a third party. A written complaint may be addressed to the Convener of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the director, Deputy Director or any of the Committee members,they may forward it to the Convener of the Committee Against Sexual Harassment.
According to the Supreme Court guideline, Sexual Harassment can be defined as “Unwelcome” sexually determined behaviour(whether directly or by implication) as :
1. Physical contact and advances
2. Demand or request for sexual favours
3. Sexually coloured remarks
4. Showing Pornography
5. Other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature. (Vishaka judgement by Supreme Court)
The following is also sexual harassment and is covered by the Committee:
2. Unsavory remarks
3. Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment
4. Innuendos and taunts
5. Gender based insults or sexiest remarks
6. Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone(obnoxious telephone calls) and the like
7. Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like
8. Displaying pornographic or other derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings
9. Forcible physical touch or molestation and
10.Physical confinement against one’s will and any other act likely to violate one’s privacy.
All the students and staff members are further advised to refer to the website www.skpkkr.com for further details.